Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Movin' It

I finally feel committed to Ironman training this year.  I'm no where near as focused or reliable as I was in 2009.  Since I'm not part of a training group and have no coach, I'm piecing together a plan. 
In previous years of triathlon training through WellFit, we were given one "rest day" a week. 
I'm finding my schedule is requiring 2 "rest days" so far.  My weekday workouts are often cut a little bit short.  For now I'm happy with squeezing in an hour workout T-W-Th, but hopefully I will be able to increase over time

 Even though my weekday workouts are slacking, the last few weeks I've been able to ramp up the mileage on my weekend workouts.  This means 5:45 am alarm clock in order to get all I want to get out of a weekend!  This weekend on Saturday I ran along the Chicago lakefront.  Usually I run south past the museum campus, but I was missing the views from Lincoln Park, so ran north this time.  10 miles total.  I was still stiff and slow from last weekend's race in Nashville, but it was good to get moving.
Sunday morning I met up with a friend from Wellfit and we rode one of my favorite routes from downtown Chicago to Highland Park and back.  I used to love it because the tree line streets, quiet neighborhoods and beautiful homes on Sheridan were a nice respite from urban chaos.  Now I'm imaging what it would be like to live in one of these neighborhoods, as Jay and I try to figure out the next step.  Either way, 3 hours on the bike allows for great girl-chat and catch up time with an inspiring friend.  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to hobble to the kitchen and get some ice. 
I don't recover quite like I did four years ago.

2 comments:

Andrea @ theMFDre said...

i want a bff run date. very soon. can we plan?

VTC said...

I would love that! I should have my call schedule for July-Jan soon.....still waiting :(