Sunday, May 13, 2012

Riverbank Run Race Report

Yesterday I ran the Fifth-Third Riverbank 25K run for the first time since 2009.  Last year I was registered but downgraded to the 10K because I knew I wasn't in any shape to run a 25K.  I started running again about a month ago.  Until yesterday my longest run was 10 miles and I've still only been running once a week, but I decided I would give the 15.5 mile 25K a try. 
My race expectations were very different from 2009, where I finished a half hour faster on a more challenging course.  This year my goal was to run the first 10 miles without walking and run/walk the rest of the race.  I had no time goal in mind.  Since last weekend I had trouble holding a 10 min/mile for 5 miles, I knew speed wasn't going to happen.
I surprised myself.  The race weather was perfect- 60s and cloud cover.  The 25,000+ runners and well supported race in a tree-canopy along the river made the atmosphere perfect.  Mom and Dad came to cheer me along at mile 7 and 12.  I ran the first 5 miles at 10 min/pace.  Texted while running for the first time (not advised).  I slowed down a bit and held around 10:30-11 pace until mile 11 when the hills became unbearable.
I ran walked from mile 12 to the end: 30 minutes slower than last time.  Although my finishing time is not on the website (which is a total buzz kill) my watch time said 3:05 which would put me about 42% of finishers.  Sometimes you feel like end of the pack when you are run/walking- but in reality I was almost in the middle.

I was all smiles.  So impressed I was able to complete the run at this stage of fitness.  Looking forward to getting in better shape and seeing what my next race will be like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB! I can't wait to run with you next weekend in San Diego. WOO HOO! love you so much.

mtc said...

GO VERONICA!!