Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Weekend

It's rare that we have a weekend where we don't have things planned out weeks in advance.  This weekend was a wonderful exception.  

I kicked off Saturday with a 20 mile bike ride along Lake Michigan before heading in to Northshore for my overnight shift.  After sleeping a few hours, Jay and I went to our favorite summer brunch place, Cafe con Leche, for some massive breakfast burritos.  If you haven't been yet, you need to go!
We (I) did a little shopping in Bucktown before we headed to Pilsen for the Mole de Mayo festival.  This festival had all the components needed for the best street festival ever.  Mole contest with many local Mexican resturants, a mechanical bull, live music, Michelatas, and even Mexican wrestling and fire twirlers!  The intense heat kept us from staying long, but I'm glad we went.
Still sleep deprived, I somehow rallied to have sushi at Coast with our good friends Goob and Melinda.  We have a tendency of having sushi with them on patriotic holidays.  Strange, but fun.
After struggling through a HOT 11 mile run/walk with Annie in the morning,  I had a picnic at The North Branch Trail park with Jason, Jamie, Filip and Ypsi the dog.  Jamie made caprese chicken sandwiches, cucumber salad, sangria and beet/pinapple juice.  I made rasberry-chile chilled soup and Jay made rice crispies.  We had a great time in the shade.  Ypsi (short for Ypsilanti) was a hit with all the children nearby.
All-around pretty great weekend.

No comments: