Friday, July 19, 2013

WIBA

Last weekend I went to Madison for The 8th annual Wisconsin Brick Adventure. 
You may recall, this is not my first WIBA.  Back in 2009, the atmosphere was much different and I was much more triathlon focused.
This time over 150 athletes from all over flew and drove in for the free camp.
I met some nice people from Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio.  The swim and bike were much more organized and the group super friendly and supportive.



Lore A, a friend from WellFit IMMOO 2009 training group came with me to support my training efforts.  We work up at 4:30 am, filled the car and headed to Madison.  Lore cheered me on during the swim.  Rode 40 miles with me and spent the next 40 helping motivate me, giving me salt tabs, sunscreen, hydration and truly being a fantastic friend.  She knows first hand the highs and lows IM training can bring, and is there to remind me of the highs when I'm experiencing the lows.


It's no secret I'm not in the shape I was 5 years ago, but I was in for a rude awakening with the 1.3 mile swim.  The lake, once again, seaweed filled, was unbelievable choppy.  The water ski team was practicing on the lake, and although impressive as Dave and Marta described, the waves made my poor level of fitness overtly apparent.    I need to make a bigger effort to make it to the pool and lake before September.


Next step, 80 miles of hills on the IMWI loop.  The first loop I rocked my new bike and helmet and kicked some serious ass.  I went a good 3 mph faster than I could have in 2009.  The second loop......not as pretty.  Hot, tired, serious a@# chaffing and a flat tire made for a rough ride....literally.  But I did it.  And I'm proud of that.   I know that it's going to be a struggle to make it to that finish line this time before midnight, but I intend to give it my all.   I pride myself on life balance and I'm not embarrassed or ashamed at my slow speed.  I realize that I have not focused on training the way I did in 2009, but I am doing the best I can while making time for a new career.  I'm proud that I can attempt this sort of craziness in the midst of everything else I've chosen to dedicate my time and effort too, but I understand to some triathletes I am not taking it seriously enough.  Wish me luck. 






1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'll be cheering you on in Madison!