


This weekend I went to Madison, Wisconsin with several of my Ironman training team mates. We joined a total of 80 people to learn the ins and outs of Ironman Wisconsin. The object of the weekend for me was to get some experience on the actual race course and learn what I would be up against come Sept. 13th. The weekend was extremely difficult and valuable for me.
Saturday- Open Water Swim in Lake Monona- 1 mile
After last weeks open water experience, I rented a sleeveless wet suit and focused on learning to swim in a straight line. It went well. The lake was DISGUSTING with seaweed growing all the way to the surface, it was like trying to swim through a forest.
Then it was off to Fireman's Park in Verona where we set off for an 80 mile bike ride. Everyone talks about how difficult riding several hours is and how the hills in Wisconsin are ridiculous. No one prepares you for the spectrum of emotions you feel- from pure joy and beauty, to the thrill of going 47 miles per hour down a hill, to the pain and solitude you endure. I was the very last person of all 80 participants to complete the course, but I still finished in around 7 hours.
After a quick shower (and a gas station bought double cheeseburger) I was thrilled to head over to Reed-O's house for a Rhythm and Booms party. It was so refreshing to hang out with the EGR boys and listen to their hilariously unique conversations and light some good old fashion fireworks. I miss being around that crew an am looking forward to seeing them more this summer as I travel to Madison frequently. Smooth Dave has some great photos of the event on his blog. I would link it if I knew how.
Sunday-
We reviewed the transition area at Monona Terrace and then off for a
13 mile run. I did this run with Melissa and we ran very slow due to leg/knee pain. We ended up doing about 10-11 miles, but it was still great to get moving.
We ended the run by icing our knees in the hotel room and having some Sangria (at 9:30 am) and then off to breakfast at a restaurant called "The Old Fashioned" with Jen and Kathleen. I decided to honor my family by NOT having an old fashioned there.
2 comments:
I experience the same spectrum of emotions just sitting in a car for 7 hours. I can't imagine riding a bike for that long...
except on a bike you usually dont have to deal with being cut off by crowds in costume exiting the pride parade....
Post a Comment