Sunday, December 16, 2012

City Winery Chicago: Mike Doughty

Monday night after work I rushed back to Chicago to catch dinner and a show at City Winery with Jamie.  Not just any show, but my favorite, Mike Doughty.  City Winery opened just down the street from our condo in late August, but this was my first time there.  It is A-MAZE-ING.  It is a huge open space with a giant restaurant, bar and winemakers paradise.  They host wine and beer tasting events and would be a great place for a big group.

What's best about City Winery, is it's concert venue.  Tucked in the back of the restaurant is another large open room lined with tables.  When you buy tickets you buy your assigned seat.   You can order dinner and wine during the show or come early for a full dining experience.  Jamie and I had flatbread, scallops, brussel sprouts and hummus.  All the food was excellent!  (alright, fine, the brussel sprouts were just ok).  We sampled 3 of the house made wines and loved them all.





And of course, the whole reason for being there, Mike Doughty.  This is my fifth time seeing him live.  Probably the most I've seen one artist ever.  I really love his music and I love how seeing him reminds me of when Jay and I first started dating.  Jay introduced me to his music early on and it's safe to say he is one of the few artists we can agree on both loving.




I went on a limb and emailed him.  I really wanted to surprise Jay with an appearance at our wedding during our first dance.  Mike was nice enough to respond immediately with well wishes and get me in touch with his agent.  His agent, also very responsive, and I talked details.  But in the end, let's just leave it as it was outside my budget.  Way outside.  In fact, I feel silly I even thought it was possible.  But it didn't hurt to ask :)  And now I have a cool email from one of my favorite artists!



No comments: