Saturday, March 24, 2012

Doughty


Since we started dating, Jason has introduced me to many musicians I’d never heard of before- some I like, some I can’t stand and a few I love.   I LOVE MIKE DOUGHTY.  Anytime we are on a road trip, this is my music request.  Any time he is near Chicago, we buy tickets.

This week Thursday was a particularly amazing show at Space in Evanston.  The venue is a very small, candle lit, classy venue with tables/chairs and waitresses.  The show was part music, part book reading from his new book  “The Book of Drugs.”

Mike Doughty was once the lead singer of Soul Coughing, a fact I did not know when I started listing to his music.  This was a time in his life which he reflects poorly upon as an emotionally abusive relationship and a time of addiction.  He left the group in 2000 and quickly became sober.  Between his readings and music, he opened the floor for questions.  Someone asked “Do you think Soul Coughing screwing you out of your music rights saved your life?”  And he then followed with “We are glad you’re alive man.”  This was particularly moving to me.  Here he is night after night in bars and street festivals with rowdy, drunk fans and he is true to his sobriety.  And his music is amazing.  I love him even more.


After the show, Jay and I went to an Ethiopian restaurant in Evanston I’ve been dying to try, Addis Abeba  It was a delicious, hands-in-our-food perfect end to a great Thursday night.


No comments: