Monday, March 4, 2013

Best Adventures: The Big Island

We had equally as much fun exploring the Big Island- Hawaii as we did on Kauai.
We spent the first few days with our friends Kimberly and Jeff, who live in Kona.  Thanks to our wonderful hostess/host as tour guides, we saw and did things we never would have had a chance to do otherwise.  They took us everywhere and have literally every single water-sport accessory necessary. This made for the most water-sport active portion of our trip.  If you know me, you know that means I was very happy lady.


We kayaked along the Ironman swim course in Kona, we went boogie boarding near Keauhou, and we failed stand-up paddleboarding because of huge waves.  But of all our water activites, snorkeling at a place locals call Two Step Beach on Honaunau Bay was our favorite. This came as a surprise to me, because I've always borderline hated snorkeling.  I find the masks and breathing tube annoying and fish always look about the same.  Most times, I end up ditching the equipment and just swimming in the ocean.  This was totally different.  The coral was spectacular, I could dive down so deep that my ears hurt, but the water was so clear you could see perfectly even from the surface.  I saw so many different schools of fish, but the most exciting part was when Kim spotted a Honu (sea turtle).  We swam along with him, one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had.

After we left The Gertons, we spent a few days in Volcano Village.  Hiking the trails at The National Volcano Park and seeing the crater light glow at night was well worth the trip.  It's amazing to imagine what the trails were like when lava was active.  I had my heart set on seeing active lava flow.  This is not an easy task.  The lava is currently flowing on private property well outside of the National Park.  We drove to old subdivision buried by lava flow from the early 2000s before setting out on a 2 hour one-way hike.  It was how I imagine walking in a desert or on the moon would feel.  Nothing in sight, rugged, uneven terrian but we continued on, eyes set on the steam ahead.  As we grew closer, we realized the steam we saw was actually lava pouring into the ocean.  
With our eyes set on the distance, we nearly stepped into hot lava.


We watched molten lava pour out between already cooled lava cracks and snake it's way toward the ocean.  The heat was intense and bits of lava were crackling almost as if they were boiling.  Pictures do not do this justice.  Jay and I had many discussions, which was more amazing?  Swimming with the Honu or discovering an active lava flow.  I'm not sure the answer, but highly recommend this hike if you're up for it.

If not, the crater glow from the national park is pretty striking on it's own and you can drive there :)



1 comment:

MTC said...

Impressive!