Last week the much anticipated RM Champagne Salon opened. My friend Beth and I jumped at the opportunity to check it out. We started there for a glass of bubbly. It lived up to my huge expectations.
This is a place not to be missed when you are in Chicago.
Tucked down a cobblestone pathway with ample outdoor seating in a hidden courtyard shared with Nellcote and G.E.B; we decided to sit inside since it was 95 that day. We were greeted by antique furniture, chandeliers, tall candles lit on each table, a large white marble fireplace surrounded by exposed brick. The atmosphere is perfect. So was the service. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff with a non-pretentious vibe.
RM Champagne serves boutique, single estate Champagne (hence the RM) which you might not find elsewhere. Beth and I enjoyed a glass of champagne and I had prosecco. I couldn't have been more impressed by this place. It's perfect for a cozy date night or a great girls night.
While food is available (cheese, oysters, small sized deserts) we had decided to try Nellcote (of the same owners) for larger portioned dinner! After hearing mixed reviews from friends, I wanted to see for myself. I've been inside for cocktails before and loved the atmosphere with chandeliers, orange bar backsplash and modern furniture. Now that it had cooled off a bit we decided to dine al fresco. The patio is beautiful and despite what I'd heard some of the food was spectacular. The chilled corn soup should not be overlooked, it was outstanding. We even recommended it to the couple next to us who ordered and agreed! Unfortunately, the service was far less-than-spectacular.
I'm no restaurant critic, but there are just some basic courtesy one expects. Should I list examples? Honestly the list might be to long. Maybe it was just the night, but talking to others I've heard similar experiences.
All in all, we had a great time, enjoyed unique settings and amazing food/drink.
I highly recommend RM Champagne, but might skip Nellcote next time and try another restaurant on Randolph or eat at RM Champagne Salon itself.

No comments:
Post a Comment