In July of 2009 I raced in my first Half Ironman (Racine 70.3).
It was my first endurance event and it exceeded all my expectations. I
raced faster than I thought possible and I actually had FUN. I was
properly trained and had my entire Well-Fit training group waiting for
sweaty-hugs at the finish line.
S 0:26 B 3:22 R 2:30
Finish time 6 hours and 23 minutes
In
2010 and 2011 I was determined to become a runner. I "trained" for my
first and second marathons, if you call 2 runs a week training. Each year I
registered for another Half Ironman with good intentions. Then each
year I didn't train. But, thanks to my mother's upbringing "you don't
quit something until the season is over" mentality, along with my own
"it's only a HALF Ironman" thoughts- I still completed the races.
In 2010 it was the long, hot, hilly Vineman 70.3 in Sonoma.
It was painful and did I mention HOT? Two years later what I remember
fondly is biking through beautiful vineyards and standing in a misting
tent at a winery who's wine I still drink. I remember how awesome it
was to train with my boyfriend-now-fiance, the preceding days of fun
in San Fransisco and the follow day of debauchery in Napa.
S 0:38 B 3:59 R 3:20
Finish time: 8 hours and 10 minutes
In 2011, it was the Door County Bluffman 70.3.
It was hotter than any race and I didn't think that was possible
(seriously 110 degrees). I got more sunburned than ever. The swim was
the scariest I've seen. But, I did it. And it was the best run race
I've been to, most support-even on a crazy hot day. I raced 1.5 hours
slower than my time in Racine in 2009. The best part of this race was
staying with the serious triathletes (aka. Karins an Ironanimal and
friends) in a house on the bay, bonfires, cookouts and triathlon talk.
Second best part was seeing ALL of Door county on bike and
foot-BEAUTIFUL.
S 0:40 B 3:44 R 3:10
Finish Time: 7 hours and 55 minutes
So.
I've done it again. I registered for another 70.3. This time in
Benton Harbor, Michigan. Steelhead 70.3. What are the chances I
actually train this year?


5 comments:
Magic 8 Ball says: "very likely." You're training! I've seen you! Keep at it!
I hope I can keep it up when this vacation ends!
love that pic of you on your bike for your first half - you look hardcore. it's all pretty impressive, big v!
You will be great! I'm dying to sign up for my 1st half IM, I'm just too scared to pull the trigger. :)
Thanks Heather!! You should totally do it! Anyone can if you are consistent and slowly increase your distance! Go for it!
Post a Comment