Monday, July 18, 2011

Door County 70.3

I signed up for the Door County Half Ironman about 10 months ago, but then quickly lost interest. It seems like training for a triathlon was the least of my priorities this year. About six weeks ago, I realized I had not swam or been on the bike since last summer, so I dusted off the bike. I was able to fit in 5 solid long rides (the longest being 35 miles) and 3 swims.

Needless to say, I was under prepared for the race. I debated getting a "doctor's note" so I could postpone my $200 entry to next year, but I'd already made plans to rent a house on Lake Michigan with some friends and was really looking forward to the grilling and bonfire we'd have after the race. So I figured, what the hell. I'll give it a shot.

Then the weather report came in. Heat advisory. 100-110 degrees with the heat index (85-90 without). Am I crazy? A little bit. But it was really fun. I finished 20 minutes faster than Vineman 70.3 last year. At Vineman I cried because I was so disappointed in myself and my time. Yesterday I was all smiles. I was just happy I could cross the finish line!

The course is beautiful along Sturgeon Bay and with better training I think I could really rock it next year :)

Here is a dramatic video from the race site:

2 comments:

scrodnals said...

Nice work! As a testament to your lack of training, I did not even know you were going to do it until after it was done...

Veronica said...

Thanks Drew! Maybe next year I'll take it more seriously....but doubtful.