Jason and I just returned from a fantastic vacation in the Bay Area, which I will blog about next. The trip was planned surrounding my only triathlon this year, Vineman 70.3 . 70.3 is the number of miles that makes up the distance in a half-ironman. I registered for this race on Halloween, shortly after IM Wisconsin and was still in top shape. Over the winter and spring months, I found it exceedingly difficult to balance my life with continuing the training pattern I had established last year. I will admit, my life is much more well rounded now, but on Sunday I felt the price. The race was held in Sonoma County. The 1.2 mile swim took place in the Russian River, where we swam upstream for half the race and then turned around with the current at our back. The bike scenery was unbelievable. From mile one, which took me past Korbel vineyard, all the way to mile 56 we rode in the winding hills surrounded by vineyards. By the time I was ending the bike I could feel the lack of training catching up with me. The hills on the bike were far larger than any I've ridden on this year and the temp. had reached 92 degrees. Needless to say, the run did not go exactly as I had hoped. When I turned the first corner and saw a hill that I'm sure my car wouldn't make it up in the winter on ice, I knew I was in trouble. So the remainder of the race was about survival and crossing the finish line- which I did but almost 2 hours slower than my half iron distance race last year. There is no doubt that this race would have been difficult no matter how much I'd trained, but I know I will do better next time!
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Vineman Ironman 70.3 or What a Difference a Year Makes
Jason and I just returned from a fantastic vacation in the Bay Area, which I will blog about next. The trip was planned surrounding my only triathlon this year, Vineman 70.3 . 70.3 is the number of miles that makes up the distance in a half-ironman. I registered for this race on Halloween, shortly after IM Wisconsin and was still in top shape. Over the winter and spring months, I found it exceedingly difficult to balance my life with continuing the training pattern I had established last year. I will admit, my life is much more well rounded now, but on Sunday I felt the price. The race was held in Sonoma County. The 1.2 mile swim took place in the Russian River, where we swam upstream for half the race and then turned around with the current at our back. The bike scenery was unbelievable. From mile one, which took me past Korbel vineyard, all the way to mile 56 we rode in the winding hills surrounded by vineyards. By the time I was ending the bike I could feel the lack of training catching up with me. The hills on the bike were far larger than any I've ridden on this year and the temp. had reached 92 degrees. Needless to say, the run did not go exactly as I had hoped. When I turned the first corner and saw a hill that I'm sure my car wouldn't make it up in the winter on ice, I knew I was in trouble. So the remainder of the race was about survival and crossing the finish line- which I did but almost 2 hours slower than my half iron distance race last year. There is no doubt that this race would have been difficult no matter how much I'd trained, but I know I will do better next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment