It has been one month since Ironman Wisconsin. The first week after the race I was euphoric. If you've ever had a high from a workout, imagine the high you get from a 15 hour workout. Actually, the constant rush of endorphins over the past 5 months from regular and intense exercise while training. I thought I couldn't wait to fill my new found spare time with other activities.
And that I did.
Apple Orchard Trip
Free Henna (not to mention food and wine) at Bayview Galore Night
Chicago Style Party at Schwepps Mansion in Lake Forest
Flea Market Finds
Family Time
Grand Rapids Art Prize
Celebrating a wedding with some of my favorite friends
No weekend alarms. Afternoon naps. Brunch with mimosas on Saturdays (thanks B). And not ONE swim, bike or run in a whole month. Actually I only worked out once in 30 days! It was a needed break. But I've overindulged.
As the month closes out, I realize I am suffering from the "Day-after-Christmas Syndrome," so my sister and I call it. The excitement surround the race is long gone. The aftermath catching up on things I missed has settled. Now I'm left with that bummer "Day-after-Christmas" feeling I remember well. The anticipation has left. The presents are all opened. The jam packed days celebrating with family and friends are over.
I'm struggling with the "what's next" feeling. Obviously my career is a priority, but it always has been. I'm the most effective when I have to balance work with other priorities and I'm more pleasant to be around too. I know I don't want to dive back into another athletic endeavor just yet. I also know that the life I've been leading the past month isn't healthy.
Over the past month, one thing has become very clear. I need some sort of exercise not only for my physical health, but to keep me happy. So, it's time to get moving.
Maybe I'll try Yoga?
1 comment:
That was me after my first marathon. It's so hard to balance.
Post a Comment