This year's Chicago Marathon was long anticipated. Since Jay and I met, he has supported me in countless triathlons. He drove late into the night after his sister's wedding to cheer me on for my first Ironman. The following summer we BOTH raced Vineman 70.3 and Chicago marathon. We didn't race side-by-side, but we both raced and while supporting each other, we had our own races to think about. Then Jay went into retirement. In 2011, he supported me in my 70.3 and ran along side me for a few miles at the Chicago marathon. FINALLY, in 2012 when Jay decided to register for the Chicago marathon, I thought I would sit that one out to cheer for him. A few months later, we found out one of his closest friends was getting married that weekend = plan foiled. SO, the 2013 Chicago Marathon finally arrived. A chance for me to cheer on my favorite guy and I couldn't wait!
(sorry Mom and MOL, this is obvi not aimed at you!)
The night before the race, true to my EGRHS cheerleading days, I made some pretty hilarious signs. Partially to numb myself from the 4OT Wolverine debacle that I had just witnessed, but mostly to keep Jay smiling along the 26.2 miles he'd run the next day. I also spent time mapping out a game plan for seeing Jay along the way. With all the road closures, I decided riding a DIVVY bike would be the best bet to get around town. I mapped out different DIVVY stops at points in the race I would want to cheer Jay on.
After dropping Jason off as close to the start as I could, I went home and rented my very first DIVVY bike. So easy. $7 for unlimited use for the day. I just needed to check it in every half hour, which was no problem since I wanted to stop and watch the race. I picked it up near our condo at Morgan and Lake outside in the west loop and rode down to Jackson and Lasalle where I waited for Jay to pass.
I made it down to my planned location just in time to dock the bike and see the wheelchair racers fly by. Next came the elite runners. Their form and speed was something to be seen. I watched corral A and B pass too. No Jay. When I started seeing corral C pass, I knew I had missed him. Disappointed, I walked to another nearby DIVVY station to head back to the West Loop to catch him at mile 14.
Riding the DIVVY bike home was fantastic. So many of the streets were blocked off, but I could just walk the bike on the sidewalk until I found an open street to ride home on. These bikes are super comfortable and easy to use. They have only 3 gears, so for those of us who are used to higher quailty bikes, its a little frustrating trying to get somewhere in hurry. But overall, such a good idea.
I found a spot in the West Loop waiting for Jay. My text alert told me he was at mile 13. 15 minutes later, still no Jason. I was so frustrated. This was my chance to be HIS supporter. To give him encouragement and energy like he has for me so many times. And I missed him. TWICE.
I ran two blocks south to try to catch him at Jackson for mile 16. And I did. Finally! As it turns out he had seen me at Mile 14 as well, but I hadn't see him. I shouted words of encouragement. He was keeping on 8 min/mile pace and I was so impressed.
I grabbed another DIVVY at Sangamon and Washington and pedaled as fast as the bike would take me to Indiana and 31st street. I made it down to the south loop with plenty of time. I docked the bike and then ran another mile south to Mile 23, where the crowd was thin. I cheered my heart out for total strangers for a good 15 minutes until Jason ran by. He looked great. He said he didn't feel great, but he then made some inappropriate jokes, so I knew all was well. I hustled to the finish to greet him for a 312 beer and celebration.
This was Jay's 6th marathon. Not his fastest, not his slowest; but overall a great race that he is happy with. The third marathon since I've met him. The first that I was able to watch, cheer and encourage. I had so much fun. I hope he did too. He had three requests for the remainder of marathon day, and a marathon finisher get's his three requests.
Request Number One
Fancy donut from Glazed and Infused
Request Number Two
Fried Chicken at L Woods Tap
And the final request? Watching the Walking Dead Season Premiere of course.
Congrats Jay on a great race!

1 comment:
Read your blog last night on my IPAD....but couldn't comment. Your signs were extraordinary - naturally! Nice job Jay and V!
Post a Comment