USAT Age Group Nationals were held this weekend in Milwaukee. The top age group triathletes from all over the country received notification if they qualified and had the option to participate.
I did not. When I heard about a way to participate in the race, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to race with this caliber of athlete in my own city. Walking around the race expo and transition, I was blown away by the race gear and bikes these people own. The best of the best. Somewhat comical to see Milwaukee transition into a super fit, spandex and aerodynamic helmet wearing community for a few days.
USAT had opened up the category Athena/Clydesdale for this race. The racers would not have the opportunity to qualify for Worlds if they won the category, which deterred many from entering. Since I was looking forward to being a part of such a huge and inspirational event, I didn't mind that.
The Athena traditionally has been for women >150 lbs. More body to haul through the water and up the bike hills. Since I haven't weighed under that since 1995, I figured I was safe. I have raced Athena one time before and came in next to last. Heavier doesn't mean slow, that's for sure. Somewhere along the way, the weight minimum was increased to 165. My Ironman weight was 164 in 2009, we get weighed the day before in the case that an athlete ends up in the medical tent, staff can calculate how dehydrated someone is. So the weigh in was a little intimidating. I really wanted to participate in this race and I didn't qualify as an age grouper. Luckily, I made the weight with a few pounds to spare.
Being Nationals, the race swag was pretty impressive. Hats, socks, compression stockings, bike gear, t-shirt all in the goody bag. By far my favorite was the tattoo race numbers. No more sharpies! The race was perfectly run with more volunteers than you could imaging. The course on my home turf was also a very cool experience. The transition and finish line right in front of the Art Museum. The bike and run course up the lake front nearly to our house. Running by farmiliar places is such an advantage. I thought I might be intimidated by the high speeds of this race. I wasn't. It was cool to see how the human body can move in it's most impressive form.
Kathleen (Athena >40 3rd Place winner) and me showing off our tattoos
Despite a beautiful day and wonderfully run race, overall I was disappointed in my experience. I've only raced in one Olympic distance race before, so maybe it was the distance, but I think it was the level of competition that made this race different. The comradarie, the support, the FUN, the reasons I love triathlon were lacking. The swim was the most frustrating, catty experience I've ever had at a race. Punching, pulling, kicking, scratching. There were very few "looking good out here" or "nice work" on the bike. An elite coach once told me if his athletes interact with the crowd or other athletes they aren't focused enough. So, I understand, at a certain level it's expected to be inside your own head and your own race. This just isn't a level I ever want to be a part of. My favorite part of racing is thanking the volunteers, high fiving kids, cheering on others who are working so hard to make it to the finish line and achieve their goal. So I continued to do that. A girl feel about 800 yards from the finish line. I stopped and helped her up. Time was not a thought in my mind. I just wanted to soak in the experience of racing at Nationals.
The lack of community spectators was also disappointing. Other than near the transition, there were few people along the course cheering us on. COME ONE MILWAUKEE! You can make up for it next year.
The lack of community spectators was also disappointing. Other than near the transition, there were few people along the course cheering us on. COME ONE MILWAUKEE! You can make up for it next year.
I'm on the left, in case you were wondering.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking these elite athletes. Their drive, dedication, competitive spirit is more than impressive. Their speed and agility is mind blowing. I'm just trying to point out that it's not the only reason to get out there and race. The only person I compete with out there is myself, my times, fighting off my own negative self-talk. But this was Nationals, so my race attitude was a minority.
Then came the finish line. The one and only Chrissie Wellington, smiling (of course), wrapped a medal around my neck and congratulated me. Later at the award ceremony she spoke about how everyone should take a moment to soak in their achievement, every last finisher, not just the winners.
And so I did. I was called to stage as the second place finisher in Athena Age 40 and Under. As I stool looking over the crowd, I was elated. I did not know at the time, but I now know I finished in the bottom 150 of the women who raced that day. My category was extremely small. I am still celebrating this moment. The feeling of accomplishment. I'm proud of how I raced. And it was a PR by a few seconds over my only other Olympic distance tri from 2009.
5 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Congrats! wish i had known you were racing as i would have tried to meet you. although i only stayed around transition.. i could see what you were saying about the lack of spark many other races had. I did Irongirl the next day and it had crazy amount of support.. more than i have ever seen. next year will hopefully be better. I kindof wanna try to do the Open to everyone sprint next year. just want to experience it. also, i was not aware of the weight change. ... i am rambling.
anyways, congrats! 2nd place.. awesome!
Thanks Nicole. You'd have experience to remember next year. I say go for it!
Congrats V!! You're a rock star!!
Thanks Carrie!! Hope we can get together soon.
Congrats!!!
Post a Comment