Wed was my 34th birthday. As I was driving to work I was thinking about what 34 meant to me. It means that I'm in a new age group for triathlons next summer (35-39 since I'l lbe 35 by the end of next year).
But then I got to thinking about Walter Payton.
This is my first week as the attending on the liver transplant service. It's been particularly stressful.
I have three patients who are the highest on the transplant list in each of their respective blood groups. They have MELD scores of 40, which basically means without a liver transplant very very soon, they won't live. I've been living and breathing the hospital and even when I'm home it's all I think about. I'm doing everything I can to keep these patients ready for a transplant.....but still not a single liver donataion has become available.
I have three patients who are the highest on the transplant list in each of their respective blood groups. They have MELD scores of 40, which basically means without a liver transplant very very soon, they won't live. I've been living and breathing the hospital and even when I'm home it's all I think about. I'm doing everything I can to keep these patients ready for a transplant.....but still not a single liver donataion has become available.
So Walter Payton has special meaning to me on my 34th birthday. I thank him/his family for all they have donated to The Walter Payton Liver Center, where I spent the last 7 years training and learning how to be a good liver doctor. More importantly I thank him for everything he did to raise awareness about organ donation. Read more about that in an old blog post here.
Countless facebook messages, calls and packages from my mother helped make my birthday feel like a special day, even though I was on call. Jay had several great surprises at home and took me to dinner at
Lake Park Bistro, an old school fancy french resturant with a great view over Lake Michigan.
I did my best to put work away for a few hours, but to be honest I have not mastered the work-life balance yet. I hope that comes with time. I'm lucky I have a fiance who has been very supportive and understand the past week.
I did my best to put work away for a few hours, but to be honest I have not mastered the work-life balance yet. I hope that comes with time. I'm lucky I have a fiance who has been very supportive and understand the past week.



2 comments:
My twin was an organ donor.. And most people don't know the appreciation and love you feel from the Organ Donor network. They have gone out of their way to honor his gift!
Jen! That is wonderful. What a wonderful gift your brother has been able to give to someone who will never forget it.
Post a Comment