Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ironman Wisconsin

After a busy four days in Chicago with 11 hours of board review each day and fun dinner plans + bachelorette party at night, Sunday afternoon I drove to Madison to cheer on the Ironman Wisconsin athletes- but mostly this girl.


In an event where people often push the limit between sane and insane, pushing your body vs. down right dangerous, nothing made me happier than when she dropped out of this race.  For those who understand the borderline obsession it takes to train for an Ironman, you know dropping out during the second half of the marathon is much harder than walking the remainder of the race to finish.  But it was smart.  And I am so proud that this friend put her safety and health over finishing another Ironman.  Because, after all, this is a hobby, an experience- that doesn't always end as planned.  Plus swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and running over a half marathon is pretty bad ass on it's own.


Added bonuses were getting a chance to hang out with friends I don't get to see enough.  Wellfit friends and EGR friends.  All in one place.  What a perfect Sunday afternoon!


And then there was Erik.  Dressed as a creepy clown. Standing in a cornfield, cheering the cyclists as they rode by.  I wish I had seen their faces.


2 comments:

dwstaple said...

You know the clown? We saw him while we were watching the bike portion.

Anonymous said...

Really?! Yep, that is my crazy friend. Great to see u and meet the kids!