Saturday, May 7, 2011

BYOB Discovery



After discovering this great blog BYOBandits featuring a group of young guys reviewing different BYOB restaurants in Chicago, I decided I'd start featuring my own every once in awhile. You all know I love eating out and the swanky new places Chicago has to offer. In an effort to stay out of credit card debit, I've been discovering some equally noteworthy BYOBs in the last few months.

Last week I tried The Bento Box which is located in Bucktown on Armitage and Oakley (between Damen and Western). I had read about it on the BYOBandits and suggested it to some friends. They also saw it listed as one of the Top 50 new resturants in Chicago Magazine this year. They dont take reservations, so we arrived at 7:30. We had to wait until 8 to be seated.

This place is tiny. We are talking 6 two top tables max, that they push together for larger groups. The menu changes daily and offers at least one vegetarian choice. They update their facebook sight with the menu daily. Entree prices ranged from $14 to $17 the night I was there.

Each Bento box comes with sticky rice, a choice of meat (or veggie dish) and two sides including ginger slaw, kimchi, salad, and sweet potatos. I ate Korean Red Chili Jidori Chicken w Ginger slaw and kimchi. Every bite was packed with flavor and amazing. I had never had kimchi before but absolutely love it.
Worth a visit sometime before this place becomes popular!!

No comments: