Monday, August 10, 2009

Ironman Part 9: Enduring the Elements

While the rest of my training group traveled to Madison again this weekend, I headed to Michigan for Marcy's Wedding (I'll blog about that later).

I had planned to get in a long open water swim early in the morning, but a huge all day long thunderstorm hindered my plans. My dad and I sat watching the radar until there was a break in the lightening and I quickly jumped out there for a 2.2 mile swim. Dad kayaked along side to protect me from the barefoot skiers and watch out for lightening for me. He also provided entertainment by wearing a bright pink rain jacket and hollering things at me- when I stopped for a break he screamed "KEEP MOVING" and when I inhaled water he laughed "Breath air, not water!" It also helped that he had a GPS on his watch so I new exactly how far we went.




Sunday the thunderstorms were replaced by 90 degree heat and dense humidity. I set out early fueled with plenty of gatorade and water for my 8 hour bike ride. Mom met me out on my course 4 separate times to check on me, bring me cold water and pretzels which I proceeded to suck all the salt off and then throw on the side of the road. It was a tough ride, but it was nice to have my family's support. I made it 112 miles an average of 13.9 mph. Not too bad for a hilly and hot day.




We ended to weekend with my favorite summer meal by the lake before another severe thunderstorm rolled in. I'm looking forward to having more time to relax with the family, but it was nice to have a brief visit!!

4 comments:

The Hamm Family said...

Congrats! I just love your parents :)

Carrie said...

You awesome girl!!

M said...

Great photographer!

Veronica said...

Thanks guys! I just love my parents too. They are pretty awesome.