Sunday, April 26, 2009

Road to The Ironman Part 4: Progress Analysis

With a little less than five months until race day, I finally am starting to feel like I am a real athlete. I've been struggling with balancing my longer work outs with my long hours at work. It's been challenging to keep my priorities in line. Training for this beast is very consuming both mentally and physically. While I do want to give this race my all and succeed, being an outstanding physician clearly takes priority as does spending time with those I love.

That being said, I have made some strides in the right direction. This week we repeated the series of tests I mentioned in Road to The Ironman Part 3. Here are my results----drum roll please.

Swim:
I improved my time per 100 from around 1:25ish (remember I messed up the first test) to just under 1:18 per 100. My goal was 1:15 and I was a little disappointed I didn't meet that goal, but I'm still happy I improved.

Bike Test: (20 minutes all out) This test my only goal was "better than last time"
I improved my Watts from 174 watts to 190 watts.
My Lactate Threshold from 175 to 185 with a much bigger drop in my heart rate after stopping.

Run Test: (20 minutes all out)
My mile/minute pace for 20 minutes went from 9:12 to 8:30. This one really blew my mind. I still feel like running is my biggest weakness, but I feel good that I am improving and excited to attempt my longest run ever (15 miles) back in GR on May 9th.
My Lactate Threshold HR also from 183 to 188, again with a bigger drop in my HR when I stop- this indicates I have better cardiovascular compliance (fitness) than I did 8 weeks ago.

Thanks to you all for your support and encouragement as I continue down this road :)

No comments: