Monday, February 25, 2013

Best Eats/Drinks in Kauai

We took full advantage of the fresh fish and fruit while on our honeymoon.  I also discovered muesli on our breakfast buffet at The St Regis Princeville.  It was the most delicious thing ever and I'm going to start making/eating it all the time.


We love fish tacos and Kauaii is full of them.  We probably ate fish tacos at least 4 times in our 5 days.  The best fish tacos?  Hands down Verde.  This place is unassuming in a strip mall between the airport and the north side of the island.  I'll admit, after flying all day, our judgement may have been clouded.  That being said, the fresh mahi tacos and special margaritas were the best we had our entire trip.  You could easily drive right by this place, but I don't recommend missing it.

Mai Tai at Tahiti Nui

Best dinner on the north side of the island:  Tahiti Nui.  Jay had macademian nut encrusted mahi and I had ahi tuna with wasabi sauce.  The mai tai's here were the best we had on our trip- one was enough for me, they sneak up on you!  The resturant was featured in the move "The Decendants" and is a lively, locals bar/resturant with live music and lots of drinking.  The pizza is also suppose to be really good as well.

View from St Regis

Best place for happy hour:  St Regis Princeville
The view at our hotel is unparrelleled.  Floor to ceiling glass on two levels and a nice outdoor area make this a perfect spot to watch the sun set.  They have live music and amazing cocktails.  Just be ready to pay $17 for one drink.  We don't recommend eating here, the food is fine, but not worth the price.  So come for a cocktail and go to dinner elsewhere. 

Interior of The Beach House

Best Overall Experience:  The Beach House
With an ocean side table like this, who could argue against it?  I've heard mixed reivews.  This place is definatley fancy and I made reservations about a month in advances.  The service was outstanding.  The food was perfect.  I'm not sure why people say otherwise, because our meal from appetizer to dessert was as good as most high brow resturant in Chicago.  It's not easy on the pocketbook, but hey, it was our honeymoon!


Sunset at The Beach House

Best Place for a Sweet:  Jo Jo's Shave Ice.  Shave Ice is popular around the Hawaiian Island.  Not to be confused with a snow cone, but basically, it's a snow cone.  They shave ice off a big block and you can pick your flavor combination.  Jay and I went there around 11 am after a hike.  I called it lunch.  He didn't argue.  Again, it was our honeymoon, normal rules don't apply.  It was such an fun and tasty treat!

Shave Ice for lunch.

Bookmark this page if your headed to Kauai soon.  I'd love to hear your favorites!







3 comments:

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie said...

I haven't been to Kauai but I LOVE Oahu and Maui! Your honeymoon looks like it was amazing!

Veronica said...

Thanks Erin. We had a great time. Such a nice break from the Midwest winter!

Veronica said...

Oh! And congrats on your engagement Erin. Looking forward to reading details.