Many years ago Thanksgiving time meant Wed evening at The Holland Country Club with the TenCates, Thursday spent relaxing at home taking a nap during the lions game and Friday with The Marsh Family. Over the years traditions have changed. Wed night became a EGRHS reunion at Flannagans, Thursday packed with both Marsh and TenCate holidays and Friday/Saturday were football watching days.
There is a point in time when new becomes tradition. Those who know me well, know I am resistant to such changes. Medical school, residency and fellowship have forced me into making my own Chicago Thanksgiving traditions which I've grown to love. The first of which is The McDonalds (formerly know as Macy's) Thanksgiving Day parade.
 |
| Many years with Irish coffee/spiced wine in hand along side Amanda or Andi Tenner, now Jason joins me to brave the crowd and get in the holiday spirit. |
 |
| This year felt nostalgic, as I know it may be the last year I live close enough to walk to the parade. Funny how new becomes tradition and then it is hard to leave! |
 |
 |
This
year a new tradition started, one I hope continues for a long time.
Jason and I prepared our very own Thanksgiving. I will always hope to
spend the holiday with my family, but this was pretty amazing and I
hope I can start cooking for the whole family!
|
|
 |
| 3 hours later we had a perfect turkey, thanks to Jason. |
 |
| And yes. This is me. Peeling apples, making crust and baking. FOR REAL! |
 |
| The night was topped with a stroll in downtown Chicago and watching the new Muppet Movie. |
New Traditions have been made here in Chicago and if I end up moving, I will leave here kicking and screaming.
That being said- someone was shot in the parking garage at my hospital last night, where I park every day. The hospital was on "Lock down" for hours while the SWAT team searched every single patient room and call room for the shooter.......maybe it wont be so awful to find a new job!
No comments:
Post a Comment