Monday, July 20, 2009

Road to the Ironman Part 8: Half Ironman


This weekend I raced my first Half Ironman in Racine Wisconsin (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). The race went almost perfectly. The weather was cool and cloudy but not windy, providing calm water and good climate for biking and running without getting too dehydrated or sunburned. The course was set up in a loop fashion, so on the run we ran 3 miles out and 3 miles back twice. This was incredible because all of my speedy teammates would pass going the other way and we would high-five and cheer each other on. It's amazing what seeing someone you know can do for moral. There were people camping out in their yards of rural Wisconsin, some with boom boxes which really pumped me up. The aid stations handed out the traditional water, gatorade, gel packets but also OREO COOKIES, COKE, and electorlyte tabs. When I crossed the finish line my entire training team was waiting, cheering for me- which really meant a lot, especially since some of them finished 1.5 hours before me. My run much much slower than expected, but I only walked through the aid stations, so overall I am very pleased with my race.

I raced more than 30 minutes faster than my goal time!! Total time 6 hours and 27 minutes!! Next stop- IRONMAN WISICONSIN only 8 weeks away.

No comments: