Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Road to The Ironman Part 3: Technology

I am about halfway through week 6 of my new training group at Well Fit. There are 14 people on my team and I have 3 coaches who send me weekly workouts to complete. We do 3 workouts a week as a group and the rest on our own. I've learned so much from the coaches and more experienced athletes. The last few weeks we did a series of tests to find out our baseline. I was impressed with all the technology and calculations involved. Here is what I found out:

My Resting Metabolic Rate is 1894 calories a day. I did this by breathing into a machine at 5:30am before I really had woken up. They calculated that I should be eating about 2652 calories daily during my training.

Swimming: We swam 100 yards 10 times with 30seconds rest between. Then our average speed was calculated. From now on our workouts are based on that speed.
I seemed to misunderstand the instructions, but mine was around 1:25 for now.

Biking: We biked 20 minutes as hard as we could (after a long warm up). Our bikes are hooked up to computrainers which calculated our watts, speed, and averages.
I need a bout 22 ounces of fluids per hour.
My threshold power: 174 watts
My lactate threshold is: 175 bpm

I also spent a day at "Get a Grip Cycles" where they measured all sorts of parts of my body as well as put me on a bike hooked up to a computer to adjust my bike to the most efficient positioning. Super cool

Running: For this test we ran 20 min warm up and then ran 20 minutes as fast as we could.
I learned that I sweat about 30 oz an hour, so I need to drink a full sports bottle every hour I run.
my lactate threshold is: 183 bpm. From this point on most of my exercise effort will be based on my heart rate.
my mile pace is 9:12 for now

It's interesting to see where I stand now and how my coaches will tailor my workouts specifically to my abilities. The whole thing may be expensive but well worth it!! I'm excited to see how I improve. I'm also excited to eat. 2652 calories!! SERIOUSLY?!

No comments: