I decided to brave the winter storm warning and head to Michigan yesterday. I packed up an emergency bag with flashlights, blankets, water, beef jerky and some energy bars before I left chilly Chicago. About half way into my drive I was doing pretty well, despite the 40 MPH winds and white out conditions. Just outside St. Joesph/Benton Harbor I encountered firetrucks blocking off the highway. As it turns out the highway was closed for a 9 mile stretch due to an 100 car pile up.
http://jalopnik.com/5115757/100+car-pileup-on-i+94-in-michigan-leaves-one-dead
So I struggled through 9 miles of back roads in my front wheel drive Hyundai. I started to think maybe this was a stupid idea. I started blasting Christmas music and continued on. Then the radio annouced the winter storm warning had been upgraded to a Blizzard for the next 24 hours. Fantastic.
I finally got back on the highway and about another 15 miles up the road I saw another huge pile up.- that is the photo above. No one was killed in that accident, thankfully.
So please drive home safely this holiday season. Bring food/water/blankets and don't be a cowboy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment