It's been 7 weeks since I registered for Ironman Wisconsin, the day after staying up until 4am at Amanda's wedding. Most of you know I was timid about telling people at first for fear of being laughed at or talked out of this insane endeavor. The longest race I have ever done was a sprint distance and that was 2 years ago. Throughout the past two years, let's just say exercising (let alone training) took a back seat to my social life and work schedule. But in April I decided that I really wanted to complete an Iron distance event during the year of my 30th birthday. The idea started after a discussion at work about decrease lung capacity after the age of 30. So I decided to do it. Never mind the fact I couldn't run more than 3 miles at the time, but I could sure put down a six pack without much problem. I was lucky enough to secure one of the few online spots in September. I don't think I really understood what I was getting into. I joined a biking and swimming group and have met many other ironmen and women who have given me great encouragement and advice. I'm just starting to get a taste of what the year ahead will be like.
So far the biggest obstacles I've encountered have been-
1. WORK- not sleeping all night on call makes even a small work out the next day impossible. having to be at work at 6am makes getting up for a morning work out not so appealing either.
2.WEEKENDS- while most people use these days to get in there very long work outs, I seem to be having a hard time prioritizing. I'd still rather go out late on a Friday and sleep on Saturday than go to bed early on Friday and work out for 3 hours on Saturday. I'm trying to learn to balance this, like going out but somehow managing to make it home by midnight and without a hangover in the morning. This is tough, my friends are very convincing people.
3. TRAVEL- I had to go to Texas for work for a week. I managed to work out every day while I was there, but could only run since I had no bike and no pool. Not a big deal at this point, but later in the year this might be a big problem. I'm already trying to think about what I will do for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
4. MONEY- Damn. This sport is expensive. That's all I have to say.
All and all, I'm really excited about the race and the progress I am already making. My first goal is a half marathon December 6th in Memphis. Even that seems like a lofty goal at this point, but I'll keep you posted!
No comments:
Post a Comment