Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tour de France

The Tour is one of my favorite things to flip on the TV during summer nights. It occurred to me tonight that many of my friends have no idea what this fabulous event entails- other than the fact that Lance Armstrong won several years in a row. Most people I've asked didn't even realize another American won the year after Lance retired! Thanks to an old boyfriend for introducing me to the event and my parents brief stint in France to keeping me inspired. Dad even went to watch a climbing stage in 2001.


So here are the basics for the 2008 Tour de France:

Course Map


The race runs from July 5th to July 27th.
There are 21 stages.
The total event is 3500 kilometers
Today was Stage 6.

I by no means consider myself even slightly knowlegable on the subject, but I do love watching the mountain stages. The scenic views are spectacular, athletic feats unbelievable and who doesn't love a bunch of guys in biking shorts?!?! My least favorite is are the time trials. I can't get over the creepy space helmets.

4 comments:

The Hamm Family said...

Hey, you and Lance would make a cute couple. You never know...he's been making the rounds lately. He's gone from a musician to a fashion designer to an actress, obviously a gastroenterologist will be his next choice. I'll just have my people call his people.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I could take on Kate Hudson. Although she does look like a hair puller...

smoothdave said...

I like watching the tour because it's like a mini-vacation with all of those shots of the French countryside.

dwstaple said...

Do they still count the American guy who won after Lance Armstrong? I heard he takes dope.